EB-2:  Advanced or Master’s Degree Employment-Based 2nd Preference

EB-2:  Bachelor’s Degree Plus 5-Year Experience Employment-Based 2nd Preference


1.    An applicant with a pending green card case, who is in the U.S., should still consult with a competent immigration attorney to apply for a non-green card work visa whether or not the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has issued and approved his/her I-765 Application for Employment Authorization (EAD).

2.    Choosing the employment-based classification (such as an EB-1, EB-2 or EB-3) is crucial to the processing time for the green card case especially for foreign nationals with certain country of birth (not nationality).  Some EB green card cases can take, for example, 6 to 9 years to process while other EB green card cases may take, for example, 2 or less years to process.

3.    Most employment-based green card cases consist  of three stages:

a)    Stage 1: PERM

b)    Stage 2: I-140 Immigrant Petition for Alien Work.

c)    Stage 3: I-485 Applications for Adjustment of Status.

i.        During this stage, the green card applicant can seek to apply (recommended) for I-131 advance parole and I-765 employment authorization document (EAD).


Stages 2 and 3 may be filed concurrently or at the same time, depending on criteria.

4.    Some employment-based green card cases do not require PERM, a permanent labor certification by the U.S. Department of Labor.  However, most employment-based green card cases do require a PERM.

5.    The Advanced or Master’s degree Employment-Based second preference (“EB-2”) petitions are green card sponsorships through their employers.

6.    The Advanced or Master’s degree green card petitions are for jobs requiring, and foreign nationals who have, either U.S. or foreign-equivalent Advanced or Master’s degrees; OR U.S. or foreign-equivalent Bachelor’s degrees plus five years of relevant experience.

7.    PERM permanent labor certification is required for these EB-2 green card cases.

8.    The EB-2 green card applicants may include certain family members as derivative applicants in their green card cases.

9.    All Rights Reserved.

This article is intended for informational purposes only, and should not be relied on as a legal advice or an attorney-client relationship.  For more information, please contact Aik Wan Kok, Immigration Attorney at Tiya PLC, at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , 202-507-9767 (office) or 703-772-8224 or www.tiyaimmigration.com.  Tiya PLC is a U.S. professional law practice specializing in U.S. immigration law.  Ms. Kok and Tiya PLC provide legal representation to foreign nationals, individuals and their families, employers and companies in all stages and aspects of green card and work visa matters.



“Aik Wan's work is very thorough and she pays a tremendous attention to detail ensuring you the best and fastest outcome for your immigration trial. I have used her services twice; once to obtain an H1-B visa and once for my greencard application. Both times she was able to convince the US immigration department to give me my documents way sooner then is average. My greencard case was fully approved in even less then 4 weeks. I can't wait to use her services for my naturalization.”
Paul Hakimpour - 4 Feb 2011


| + -